TD Community Arts Award
Celebrating the vital contributions that artists and organizations make in Toronto’s communities
Deadline: July 2019. Nominations for this award will open in Spring/Summer 2019.
About: The Neighbourhood Arts Network TD Community Arts Award is a $10,000 cash prize celebrating an individual artist or organization that has made a significant contribution in Toronto, by working collaboratively with culturally diverse communities and creating access to arts and culture. Established in 2013 as the TD Arts Diversity Award, the award was re-named the TD Community Arts Award in 2018. The award is sponsored by TD Bank Group and rotates from being presented to an organization and an individual in alternating prize years. The TD Community Arts Award is part of our Vision Awards, presented in the fall of each year.
This award will be presented to an individual in 2019.
Neighbourhood Arts Network is an initiative of Toronto Arts Foundation.
• must have demonstrated an ongoing association with Toronto
• must have contributed significantly to the arts and culture of Toronto
• must be living at time of selection
• may only receive this award once
• may self-nominate
• are not eligible to nominate or receive Toronto Arts Foundation awards while serving as an executive board member or staff of Toronto Arts Foundation or Toronto Arts Council
Organizations and Collectives:
• must be a Toronto-based organization/collective that has been in operation for one year or more
• must have demonstrated a commitment to or focus on community-engaged arts
• are only eligible to receive this award once
No person or organization may be selected for more than one Toronto Arts Foundation award within any given year. No person or organization may receive the same Toronto Arts Foundation award twice. This does not preclude a recipient from being considered for a different Toronto Arts Foundation award in the future.
How to Apply: To nominate yourself (self-nominations are accepted for this award) or an individual, collective or organization for the TD Community Arts Award you must,
- Visit the Toronto Arts Foundation Nomination portal https://tac.smartsimple.ca/welcome/taf/
- Register an account on the Toronto Arts Foundation Nomination portal or sign in to your existing account
- Submit the nomination online, complete with supporting material
Along with the name of the individual or organization you are nominating, the nomination form will also ask for a biography, a nomination rationale, and accompanying support material in the form of visual, audio or text-based attachments.
Nominators can save their application at any time before submission by clicking ‘Save Draft’. Nominators can log-in and out of the Toronto Arts Foundation Nomination portal as many times as needed before clicking ‘Submit’.
* Please ensure you are on/ register through the Toronto Arts Foundation Nomination portal and not Toronto Arts Council’s TAC Grants Online.
Selection Procedure: A jury of up to 10 members will review nomination profiles and select a shortlist and recipient recommendation for this award. Toronto Arts Foundation’s Board of Directors will make final determinations. Each jury is comprised of participants who are practitioners of the arts, organizers, programmers, producers, curators, critics, commentators and lay specialists.
This award is presented in recognition of a body of creative accomplishment, rather than for specific works or achievements. In addition to specific requirements for each award, deliberations will be guided by the following assessment criteria: artistic strength and achievement; strength of the candidate’s artistic goals and objectives; contribution to the development of arts and culture in Toronto; and the candidate’s overall public impact including public engagement and animation.
Contact Info: For questions, please contact Ines Aguileta, Neighbourhood Arts Network Manager, by email at ines[at]torontoarts[dot]org or by phone at 416-392-6802 X 212.
Learn more about the 2018 TD Community Arts Award finalists by visiting www.neighbourhoodartsnetwork.org/tdfinalists
UrbanArts, 2018 Recipient
TD Community Arts Award
UrbanArts is a progressive not-for-profit local arts service organization (LASO) linking the needs of those who create/make art, those who engage the artist as an essential element of their own development, and those who support UrbanArts because it adds value (sense of identity, lifestyle, prosperity) to the neighbourhood. UrbanArts is committed to the goal of building inclusive, engaged communities by enriching people’s lives through the arts, culture and heritage, with programs, services and resources delivered within the former City of York boundaries, with a focus on York South-Weston.